Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Dana 1 - Nana 0

So J. Hogan and I were in the grocery store the other day. Pretty typical shopping adventure with Peanut - he was touched by way too many sweet older ladies, laughed at a few older gentlemen, and was entertained by a few youngsters. But then we approached the checkout lane and everything changed.

It was here we met "Nana". I only know she is "Nana" because of the red and green sweatshirt adorned with one rather unfortunate looking angel and the LARGE billboard atop said angel's head that read "Nana's Little Angel". Side note - the date of this engagement was December 28th which is probably why I can tell you in detail what the shirt looked like. I will not tell you the real name of this "little angel" to protect his innocent self. We will just call him Oscar.

I quickly glanced over my options for checkout and chose the lane which looked like the least threatening. As I settled into my spot behind Nana, she quickly turned and said hello to J. Hogan. I will now give you a script of the conversation -

Nana: Well, aren't you the sweetest thing?

Me: J. Hogan, can you say hello?

J. Hogan: (smiles at Nana)

Nana: How old is he?

Me: He is 10 months.

Nana: Oh my grandson Oscar is the same age. Is your son waiving bye-bye? My Oscar is.

Me: Yes, he is waiving bye-bye.

Nana: Is your son crawling? My Oscar is crawling.

Me: Yes, he is crawling.

Nana: Is your son saying, "Da-Da"? My Oscar is.

Me: Yes, he says Da-Da. (At this point my patience for this game of "your son can't be smarter than my Oscar" is wearing thin.)

Nana: Is your son pat-a-caking? My Oscar is.

Me: Yes, he is pat-a-caking.

Nana: Well, your son is a cutie.

J. Hogan: Thank you. (It was the clearest, most perfect "Thank You" he has ever said.)

Nana: (solemn look on face as you could hear the crickets chirping) Did he say "thank you?"

Me: Of course he did. He is 10 months old.

Nana: (returns to her car speechless.)

1 comment:

carrie said...

This is so funny!! Way to go J. Hogan!! :) And I must admit...you DO have an extra smart one on your hands already saying "thank you". Caleb can't seem to get past da-da-da-di-di-gi-ga-ga....etc,etc. And is just now starting to army crawl. He's a little laid back about most of life!! :)