Tuesday, September 2, 2008

1st Day of School

For those of you who do not have children, please allow me to indulge in a bit of "mother melancholy". Those of you who do have children, please join me in this moment through reflection.

Today was J. Hogan's first day of school. No, he is not going to daycare, mom's day out, or any other daily centers of activity. He started Kindermusik today. I know it's just one day a week for 45 minutes, but it IS his first classroom setting and to me that's worth writing about.

I have been "chatting it up" to him for the last three days just to prepare him, and reality was no disappointment. There was music, there was clapping, there was parading, there was waltzing, and there was even a ride in a buggy (well a laundry basket of sorts). You are right, I was the one doing most of the work, but he LOVED it. He is the youngest in the class and the rest are over a year old, but I am certain he is the brightest. (-;

I took this picture just before we left and you can see by the look on his face he was excited. On the way to class I began thinking about how many times I will drive him to school in his life - the first day of preschool, kindergarten, high school, and then moving him into the dorm at Duke where I promise not to linger like a helicopter parent. I want school to be grand for him. I want him to love his teachers, read everything he can get his hands on, do well in math, make lots of friends, be a good school citizen, and mostly never want to stop learning - ever.

So after class on the drive home, with J. Hogan sacked out in the back, I began praying for his future teachers - all of them - from Sunday school to college. I pray they are eager to teach and passionate about what they know. I pray they encourage my son to try the unknown and marvel in new discoveries. I pray they delight in his successes and direct him in his failures. I pray they teach him the lessons to be learned both in the classroom and on the playground.

Maybe someday I will look back on this blog when he leaves the house driving himself to school, and I will think about that sweet baby boy in his navy and white t-shirt, in my arms meeting his first teacher, Ms. Anne and doing nothing but giving her the biggest smile a six month old can give. Thank you Ms. Anne! It's been a good day.

No comments: